The main objective of the project is to incorporate climate governance in the management of green infrastructure at the local level through the establishment of an integrated policy framework focusing on Urban Green Areas (UGAs). The project promotes urban integration, which translates into thinking of urban open spaces not as isolated units but as vital elements of the urban landscape with their own specific set of functions and contribution to climate change mitigation and adaptation. This approach capitalizes on UGAs as valuable resources for the adaptation of cities to climate change and the mitigation of its impacts through urban forestry.
LIFE GrIn will develop a sustainable urban forest management framework through participatory planning that combines public perception and values of UGAs with management practices addressing climate change. Supportive and well-tailored governance that covers horizontal and vertical engagement and broad stakeholder participation is a basic condition for all steps of the adaptation planning, implementation and monitoring process as is awareness and tailored knowledge creation.
The project aims to:
1. Establish an integrated policy framework for the management, monitoring, and evaluation of UGAs based on cooperative planning and best practices in urban forestry, satisfying public values and promoting urban adaptation to climate change
2. Integrate and promote European policies in relation to climate change adaptation and mitigation, as well as sustainable urban planning and design
3. Quantify and multiply the impact of UGAs on climate problems in cities (heat waves and heat island effect, increased runoff during heavy precipitation, increased energy consumption for heating/ cooling buildings)
4. Promote the incorporation of sustainable urban forest management for climate change adaptation and mitigation in the Covenant of Mayors and other EU policies
5. Improve citizens’ quality of life through the mitigation of the effects of climate change and the multifunctional planning of UGAs
6. Raise awareness amongst decision-makers regarding the necessity and benefits of taking action on climate change adaptation/ mitigation at municipal level
7. Raise public awareness about climate change and promote the active participation of stakeholders towards mitigating its impacts.
8. Conserve nature and biodiversity and improve habitats for fauna and flora species in cities